Backyard Homesteading

Journaling my backyard homesteading lifestyle and hopefully giving you a few tips along the way.
Posts will be sent to you personally if you pop your email address in the box on the right.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Extending the Vegie Patch

After watching the young girls experiment in my last post I've been terrorized into lightning bolt action to extend my vegie patch.  Conventional farming practices have become so focused on how to produce cheap food rather than how to produce healthy food that food is actually becoming unhealthy to eat due to all the toxic chemicals.
Mumma mia. What to do?
Well for a person like me who loves gardening there's an easy solution. Grow as much fruit and vegetables as I possibly can.

The assurance of 100% chemical free fruit and veg is wonderful.
And because it's grown in healthy soil it's way more nutritious.
And tastes heavenly instead of the insipid supermarket faux fruit and veg. 
And very cheap.
And if you save the seeds for planting next year it costs nothing. FREE food.
And there's usually enough to share with family and neighbours.
So riding on a wave of inspiration I went out into the winter sunshine and extended my vegie patch by making a big new bed. Here's some pics.



I marked out the shape I wanted with a hose.


I then dug along the edge and middle with a spade making sure all the clumps were left lying upside down. This exposes the grass roots to the air and it will kill them leaving your soil filled with nice organic matter.



Hmmm, deciding whether or not to make a path through the center.


Nope. A path takes up space that could be growing something so I'll just lay a plank down to walk across.
The shape needs a little adjustment but it's not looking too bad for an afternoons effort. Tomorrow I'll rake it flat then add a layer of straw mulch.

Gosh I've already mentally filled the new garden bed full of summer corn and enough tomotoes to preserve for the whole year. Should I dig another new vegie patch for potatoes?  Someone please stop me.....

1 comment:

  1. Your enthusiasm makes ME feel like I need a break, lol! But it's awesome. I totally agree that growing one's own food is the way to go, as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete