Backyard Homesteading

Journaling my backyard homesteading lifestyle and hopefully giving you a few tips along the way.
Posts will be sent to you personally if you pop your email address in the box on the right.

Friday, July 13, 2012

FRITTATA

I wandered down to the garden, basket dangling from my arm, in search of something for dinner.
Eggs from the chooks (chickens) were first on my list followed by, silver beet, potato, red chard, spring onion and a little bunch of parsley.

Hmm so what to cook?

I decided on frittata. It's similar to quiche but doesn't have a pastry base, and that can only be a blessing to my derriere.

In theory Frittatas are supposed to be cooked in a frypan then finished off under a grill but I just pop all the ingredients in a dish and cook it in the oven.

 You can use just about any vegetables. Just make sure heavier vegies such as potato, carrot or pumpkin are sliced thinly or steamed first to ensure they cook all the way through.
I find that brown onions are too strong for egg dishes and use the long thin stalks of spring onion instead.

 For 4 serves I used:


4 eggs
Half cup of cream
Half a cup of milk
1 cup grated cheese
About 2-3 cups diced or thinly sliced vegies
    (I used silver beet, corn kernels, sliced potato, sliced pumpkin, chard, spring onion, parsley)
Salt and pepper to taste


Mix all ingredients together and poor into a baking dish.

Cook for about 20-30 mins until there is only a slightly uncooked patch in the centre of the top. Take out of oven and let sit for 5 minutes. The little uncooked patch will cook in the heat of the dish.


Head on over toThe Praire Homestead for lots of interesting reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment