Backyard Homesteading

Journaling my backyard homesteading lifestyle and hopefully giving you a few tips along the way.
Posts will be sent to you personally if you pop your email address in the box on the right.

Friday, July 13, 2012

COMPOST


Oh my gosh who doesn't love making compost. I hate turning compost heaps, but man I love making them. It's like making a giant cake, or a witch bending over her cauldron making a spell.  A dash of this and a spot of that until your brew is just right.
Last summer I grew a delicious patch of potatoes in the centre of an old tractor tyre.  After a summer of continual harvesting the soil was looking depleted and had sunk half way down the tyre.  I’m sure there are lots of small potatoes still in there but I needed some where to build a compost heap and the tyre was the perfect place.
I left the remaining potatoes and soil undisturbed and on top I added alternating layers of ‘greens’ and ‘browns’ that mix to make a good hot compost pile.  Lush green weeds, paper scraps, food scraps, a cardboard carton that my Lillybet Clothing banner had come in, more weeds,  some well manured straw from the chook (hen) house, more food scraps, a thin layer of dirt, more paper, more weeds, a shredded pizza box, and a final layer of manured straw from the chickens shed.  

All this took about a week and during this time the weather was nice enough to rain off and on so each layer has been very well dampened.  Now to leave it cooking for a week or two before I turn it.






No comments:

Post a Comment